1.- An example of an Imagist poem for you to do the homework
In a station of the metro (Ezra Pound)
The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
petals on a wet, black bough.
- Direct treatment of the thing: In this poem Ezra Pound describes his feeling towards the apparition of people in a metro station.
- To use absolutely no word that does not contribute to the presentation: Every word in the poem is meaningful and the extension of the poem shows it.
- Rhytym in sequence of the musical phrase and not the metronome: The poem is fluent and sounds nice to the ear, particularly due to the rhyme of words “crowd” and “bough”.
2.- The Wasteland: Continuation of poem analysis by reading some passages of it.
3.- A room of one’s own: Start reading some of the most important passages of the essay and understand its essence and meaning as depicted by Virginia Woolf.
Watch the following videos for your further understanding
Biography of Virginia Woolf
- What episodes marked her childhood?
- Why was she resentful with her father?
- How does death affect her life?
The hours: Train station scene: Virginia is reminded of her mental illnesses.
The hours: Last scene.
Virginia Woolf’s last words to her husband:
I feel certain I am going mad again. I feel we can’t go through another of those terrible times. And I shan’t recover this time. I begin to hear voices, and I can’t concentrate. So I am doing what seems the best thing to do. You have given me the greatest possible happiness. You have been in every way all that anyone could be. I don’t think two people could have been happier till this terrible disease came. I can’t fight any longer. I know that I am spoiling your life, that without me you could work. And you will I know. You see I can’t even write properly. I can’t read. What I want to say is I owe all the happiness of my life to you. You have been entirely patient with me and incredibly good. I want to say that everybody knows it. If anybody could have saved me it would have been you. Everything has gone from me but the certainty of your goodness. I can’t go on spoiling your life any longer. I don’t think two people could have been happier than we have been.
4.- Homework: No homework today for you to catch up with pending assignments.